Church History - St Andrew’s, Compton Dundon
A lack of documentary evidence before the 17th Century means that we can only speculate about the beginnings of the Church, but the appearance of the village in the Domesday survey of 1086 would suggest that there was a Saxon Church on the site, when incidentally the Yew Tree in the churchyard might already have been some 700 years old.
The present structure can only be dated from its architectural features, principally the windows. These would suggest that the Chancel is late 13th or early 14th Century and the Nave 15th Century. The tower also probably dates from the 15th Century.